Thursday, July 9, 2015

July 9 ...

Ministry Partners

Well, today was a "bit" sad for me. Today was the last day of prison ministry in Rwanda. Of course our original plan, when we left the guest house, was to do a Men's and Women's conference at the 1930, Central Prison, but as usual flexibility was the name of the game for the day.

Prisca, a very sweet lady and partner to IRM, met us at the guest house as did Pastor Innocent. She does a wonderful job translating and I was looking forward to working with her. I have done ministry at the 1930 prison many times and in preparation for today I had loaded my teaching folder with messages for the women as well as a few object lessons for them. I am not quite sure why I stuck my general crusade teaching folder into my briefcase but it was a good thing.

We arrived at the prison and I was thankful that I had stuck the envelope with the original government approval letter in a separate folder in my briefcase because when we arrive at the prison entrance Alfred discovered that the folder full of copies was now empty and the guards at the gate had not been informed of our coming. We were finally allowed to enter after the guards scrutinized the original document. Aaron parked in the designated parking area and we walked down the hill to  the Director's office.

I found the Director to be a very handsome man who was talkative and gracious to us but asked us if we would change our plans and please do a general crusade. Goodness, was I ever glad that I had my other teaching folder. While we were in the director's office Paul appeared sporting his uniform. I had not seen him for a number of years when he was the warden at Nsinda Prison, where he proudly stated that he was son number four. I love being my age and being able to have so many adopted children. We were in the director's  office for about an hour before he walked with us to the conman area. 

The Director stayed for some time and addressed the inmates then excused himself saying  had other duties. The two choirs sang songs for about 45 minutes then we were given the floor to present our crusade including the discipleship time. Once again. we watched the Holy Spirit move upon the hearts of those who were present, staff, prisoners and confined "pastors". As we were loading up the van the Director once again appeared and asked us how things went. He told us this was his first post and he had only been here for about 8 months.

As we left the prison gate we stopped briefly to check out their gift store but I did not find anything to purchase so I asked Alfred if we could stop at the open market which we did. No matter where I go now I see people who are friends of old that I have met sometime during my years here. As I was looking at baskets in the market I heard someone behind me call my name, it was Tao, the house boy, who worked at another guest house where I stayed during  my early years here. It was so good to chat with him for a few minutes before he left to do his errands.

Then it was back to looking and bargaining. When I felt I got a good bargain, weather I did or not, I gave a gospel tract and beautiful donated scarf to the sales person. The shop women love it and one young man I made a purchase from was unmarried but called his mother who was nearby to receive the unexpected gift. When I saw her I could not help myself, I had been carrying around a dress I had made here last year that I just did not like. I wanted to give the beautiful embroidered dress to someone just to bless them. I had found just the right woman as I watched her eyes brighten. Alfred had to keep telling her I was actually giving the dress to her just to bless her. She hugged and hugged me as tears filled her eyes. Later she found me at another shop and presented me with a "thank you" gift.
The produce section of the market

I received another "thank you" gift at another shop when I presented that woman with a scarf. I love going to this same open market where most of the shop owners recognize me from years past. It is so good to see their smiling faces and receive their generous hugs. I am blessed to be here again for sure.
Some of Arlene's finds at the market

As we left the market Alfred had Aaron get us snacks of roasted beef on a stick and roasted matoki. Although I was hungry and enjoyed the beef ........ the matoki not so much.

After dinner Alfred and Aaron went to the hospital to see Pastor Peter's wife Merculie, (they man the IRM office) who went to the hospital to have surgery on her knee to remove a bullet that has been in there since the Genocide. Her first husband and three children had been killed and she had been shot 7 times!!!!! Please pray for her.

Off to bed for me. We have a village church crusade tomorrow and it's a bit of a drive out of town.

That none would be lost,
Arlene

1 comment:

  1. So glad of a good day of sharing God's word and shopping and praying now for healing Merculie. Have a good day tomorrow and beyond!

    ReplyDelete