Thursday, July 7, 2022

July 7 - Today was the first prison crusade in Kenya

Ministry Partners,

Not sure how to post about the events so far today, especially after the events of yesterday.

I had a sleepless kind of night but rose and got ready for the day at about 7am. I had a nice breakfast with French toast, vegetables, beans and a variety of small pastries as well as tea.

Little did I know that the Bible Gateway verse today would be one for me to cling to. Psalm 18:30 “As for God, his way is perfect: The Lord’s word is flawless; he shields all who take refuge in him.” NIV

It has been a long time since I have felt sheer panic in doing what God has called me to do. The last time was in 2010 and I was in Rwanda at Mpanga prison looking out at 7,000 inmates. I had never spoke to that many before but a teammate said, “Arlene, you are David with 5 stones, you can do this.” And God showed me that day that I COULD do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

When we got to the van this morning and were sorting the supplies I asked where my ministry bag was, it contained all the props for the object lessons that go with all three teachings, Salvation, Discipleship and Forgiveness as well as my bible and the folder with all my teaching lessons and notes. IT WAS NOT THERE. It was decided that it got left behind in Uganda at Tororo prison!!!!! We have known for some time that the prisoners will not remember exactly what I say but they will remember what they see so those object lesson props are extremely important.

Because of the radiation damage to my memory banks I depend on two pages of written out scripture references and notes for the part of the crusade that has to do with salvation and my well-worn bible is large enough print that even though my eyes do not yoke together, I can easily read from it as I teach.

But today as I stood by the van preparing to leave for the first prison crusade here in Kenya…….. I had nothing, nothing that is except the Holy Spirit that I cried out too for help. As He calmed my spirit he caused me to realize we had a different item we could use for the first object lesson, we still had a crown to use for part of the second object lesson and Aaron got on top of the van a removed one of the ropes so we had that for the final two object lessons.

But what about my teaching? I tried to visualize in my head the two pages of my notes and the scripture verses there, I could “see” them and took a piece of paper and wrote them down as Chaplain Edward looked up the scriptures on his phone to make sure I had them right. Then Aaron appeared with one of the English Bibles that was for the prison, the print was so small but with my readers from the Dollar Store I could see fine to read from it.

 Chaplain Edward Does a wonderful job translating for me.

The prayer warriors on this team and I did a massive amount or prayer for me this morning and as I stood before the 1,500 – 1,700 men the panic was gone. Such a reminder that the Savior I love will never leave me alone but see that I am prepared and ready to do what he has called me to do. Those of you who are faithfully praying may not know for sure what to pray for but be assured God knows and is answering your prayers. Thank you.

And what a huge blessing to watch the prisoners respond to each part of the crusade. All to say the Holy Spirit saw to it that it went well and so many received Christ, no sure how many but I would say all 1,500 to 1,700. Praise His name!!

I jokingly was so excited at what I watched the Holy Spirit do that I told Chaplain Edward that I felt like dancing, he said sure and we did a couple steps in celebration. Satan knew what was going to happen today and he did all in his puny power to stop so many receiving Christ as Savior and forgiving. The events of the last few days just tells me that we are going to see an amazing outpouring of the Holy Spirit on the rest of this trip just like we saw in Uganda.

It was decided that instead of driving to the next town close to tomorrows two prisons we would return to last night’s hotel and leave me there. Then Aaron and Edward left for the border where Aaron would take a bike to Tororo Prison to retrieve the bag, which they said was there, with my object lessons, bible and teaching folder that got left behind. Aaron will then cross back into Kenya where Edward will be waiting for him. It will be an 8-9 hr. journey for them.

So tomorrow means we will have to be up very early to make it to the 2nd and 3rd prisons as we were going to drive there today.

Please continue to pray for the souls of the prisoners as the fields truly are white for harvest and for a fresh anointing for the team.

That none would be lost,

Arlene

 

3 comments:

  1. Praise God for His assurance that he will never, never, never leave us! Not only spiritually, physically, or any other way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing how God defeats Satan and how the Holy Spirit works in spite of our weakness. There are many new names written in the Lamb's Book of Life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of you as you step out in faith, relying entirely on our Holy Spirit. Praying for you and the team. So thrilled to hear about the many victories. Excited to see what He will do next. God is so very good!!! The Lord bless you and keep you!

    ReplyDelete