Monday, July 18, 2022

July 17 & 18 God is giving new additional oppertunities to IRM

July 16 – Today we arrived back in Kenya

 Breakfast in Uganda

 

Matooke, peanut gravy and greens (similar to Swiss Chard)

I had a fair night’s sleep as the hotel we stayed in was next to the highway and the MANY trucks driving by continued through the night. I have had a difficult time finding foods that fit my tummy’s taste but the last two nights have provided good meals. Night before last was the pizza and last night was the fish fillets, they were good as were the carrot and fresh green bean veggies. The potato wedges were seasoned differently but tasted fine, there were just too many.

The breakfast provided by the hotel was not what we expected and when I went to the counter and saw the VERY VERY filthy open refrigerator and the young “boy” who. had no hotel uniform and looked like the he was off the street, that was preparing the food I was glad I still had some of the cereal Alfred picked out for me that I have been caring in my suitcase. He wanted to be sure I had something for breakfast if some hotels “local” food was not something I could eat. So I decided I just should not to eat the French toast that had been prepared for me since I know the boy probably touched the bread as he was preparing it. On the last trip I ate something that had been prepared for me by a person with filthy hands and got very sick, having to go to the hospital for medication. I am trying my best to not let that happen this trip. I am not sure who cooked the fish I had last night but I am glad it was deep fried, killing most every germ, and I feel fine this morning.

It was 9:30 by the time we got in the van and headed to Kampala. Since it was Sunday the traffic was light until we got close to town but it was good to finally arrive back at our original hotel which is clean and nice. The house at the hotel that we originally rented was not available until tomorrow so we stayed in a different section of the hotel. I was disappointed that there is no Wi-Fi in my room so I will have to wait and post this tomorrow.  

Alfred and I spent some time going over finances and just visiting the rest of the afternoon.

The cook here is so nice and followed the instructions Alfred gave him to prepare the coleslaw with pineapple for me to go with the spaghetti I ordered. Everything was DELICIOUS but the portions were huge so Alfred helped eat some as he waited for the “local food” dinner he and Aaron ordered; fish, mashed mitoki and rice.

It was a special treat to end the day with a nice hot bath to soak my back in. Most hotels do not have hot water or bathtubs just a shower head, a drain in the floor and cold water.

July 17 –

Goodness, I must be more exhausted than I thought as I only woke once and slept from 9pm to 6am, waking with the help of the 4 or 5 roosters in the area. The team met for breakfast in the garden here with Aaron and I having African tea and French toast and then the guys having whole matooki (a green banana) topped with peanut gravy! It looks really “interesting” and I have tasted it but it is not something I want to eat.

While we were there the guys spoke with a representative for prison ministry from Tanzania. We continue to see God’s provision as the door has opened for us to add going to Tanzania in the future and before I return home our IRM team will meet with a representative from there. I am excited to see what God does with this opportunity next year in 2023.  

It is hard to believe that I only have three more days here. As I watched the enemy start attacking this trip and me earlier this year and during this trip but then has always saw God’s provision. I KNEW this trip was going to be a powerful one and told others that I believed that we would watch the Holy Spirit pour out His power like never before, and so we have. With me being so ill from the time I left Portland and for most of this trip only a fresh anointing from God each day allowed me to preach 48 crusades and do a radio broadcast. Some of the 52 prisons I was scheduled to do changed as some prisons combined and brought their ladies wing to a side of the men's prison  and 2 scheduled prisons for one day had to be canceled by Chaplain Edward.

I must say my team here in Uganda is exceptional as they are not just friends of IRM but real partners as they continue to increase their partnership with us by paying for their own phone cards and some transport. This shows their desire to really be a part of this ministry by not expecting IRM to cover the cost of everything and allows us to purchase more bibles and booklets for the prisoners.

Aaron has left to get the van serviced, Alfred is finalizing our report for the Uganda Prison Services and writing a much needed letter while I finish writing today’s blog but there is much to be done as we finalize this trip. We have moved across the hotel property to their house we have rented here. It was cheaper to rent it than to rent separate rooms and I love the family atmosphere it gives our team.

 PLEASE PRAY:

I read a message about the issues concerning travel through the Amsterdam airport extending layovers, mine as already been extended from 3 hrs. to 6hrs., and canceling flights. Please pray that I would not have any further changes to my flight home on July 22.

That none would be lost,

Arlene

3 comments:

  1. Some good verses for us today!
    It is written: “I believed; therefore I have spoken.” Since we have that same spirit of faith, we also believe and therefore speak, because we know that the one who raised the Lord Jesus from the dead will also raise us with Jesus and present us with you to himself. All this is for your benefit, so that the grace that is reaching more and more people may cause thanksgiving to overflow to the glory of God. Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
    2 Corinthians 4:13-18 NIV

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rejoicing with you about so many things. We have such an awesome God. Praying for you all the way home to the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying you have a safe and uneventful trip home. Enjoy each minute remaining with your team as you wrap up and plan ahead. I am amazed by you, dear friend, and in awe of the Lord for what he has accomplished. Thank you for your open hands.

    ReplyDelete