Friday, July 19, 2013

July 18 & 19......



2 Peter 3:9 & 15  NIV
  “ 9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise,  as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
15 Bear in mind that our Lord’s patience means salvation,  just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him.”

Ministry Partners,

It is so had to believe that yesterday, the 18th., and today are my last full days of ministry in Uganda.
July 18 –
I awoke not feeling quite up to par but we were off by mid morning to meet with the printers and picked up 3 copies of the photo report Alfred wrote before going to the Commissioner of Prisons. Irene met up with us on the way as she was to translate for me later in the day. 
The commissioner, I had met earlier, was in a meeting with others so we spoke with her associate. He was more than a bit impressed with the report as he said others requested admission to prisons but then never went or carried through, it just looked good on their proposal to raise funds.. It was interesting as he did not put the report down until he had gone over every part of it very carefully going, hummm……..hummm……hummm. It was evident that we had found favor with him.
Then we were off to Western Uganda to do some unscheduled ministry in the Wakisi area for a woman’s co-op support group headed by Alfred’s mother-in-law, but not before going to their home for a delicious traditional Ugandan meal. 

 
When we arrived at the women’s center the 40 women were gathered and dressed in their “best traditional” dresses. They were a most colorful and beautiful group, for sure, as they sang and danced to welcome Irene and me. Alfred and Pastor Aaron got us all set up and then returned to Alfred’s in-laws house to visit with his father-in-law.
I shared my testimony and the Gospel where 2 were added to the Lamb’s Book of Life and all 40 responded to the Forgiveness message as we ended our time together with everyone participating in the “You Have Value” exercise. Then it was time to give each woman a Bible/Discipleship Booklet set which brought an abundance of smiles, singing and dancing.
My time with these lovely ladies was far too short but according to culture we needed to share some food/treats together and take lots of photos before leaving. It was such a wonderful afternoon. We gave Irene a lift to the taxi as she would not be able to stay overnight as planned because her son was not feeling well but being looked after by her mother in her absence.
Alfred found me, Pastor Aaron and himself a nice quiet place to have dinner and then rooms to stay overnight before taking the 3 hour drive back to Kampala tomorrow.
July 19 –
After a great night’s sleep I awoke early and walked down to the water’s edge of Lake Victoria. It was beautiful and cool and the birds were singing songs that just had to be songs of praise to the Savior. I observed some fishermen coming in from setting their nets and there was an early morning mist still on the water…….it was beautiful!!!
We had a delicious breakfast and from where we were we could see two prisons on the opposite riverbank across our portion of the lake…….if God brings me back next year…….perhaps I can go there.

After our return trip to Kampala we arrived back to my room about 2 pm with time for me to pack up to leave tomorrow before going to a Secondary School at 3:30 to speak to about 200 youth. But while I was packing and the guys were resting the yard man, James, appeared. He is far more than the yard man as I have observed him doing absolutely everything from bringing me hot tea water, any food I order, emptying my room trash, doing the wash, helping us load and unload the van …… just about everything. He became a bit distressed when he asked if I would return to Kampala after going to Rwanda and I told him no, I would be returning to America. I told him I had some things for him, a bible set, an IRM T-shirt, 3 ties and a small “tip”,  not usually given here.



 I asked him if he had ever received Jesus as his Savior and he said he would read about Him in the bible I had given him. It was a most precious opportunity as the Lord gave me the privilege of hearing this dear man pray the sinners prayer……the angles were singing as was my heart.

It was time to head to the secondary school, so off we were for the final time of ministry here. We were welcomed at the school and they assembled over 200 youth to hear me speak, sharing my testimony, forgiveness of others and the importance of making good choices now to insure good consequences for their future, 91 received God’s free gift of salvation.
After returning to my room Alfred and Pastor Aaron packed up the van for Aaron's 8 hour drive to Rwanda tonight. Alfred returned home and will pick me up tomorrow morning for us to make the 30 min. flight to Rwanda.

Thank you everyone who has been faithful partners to pray for this leg of the IRM 2013 Ministry trip. I am anxious to be in Rwanda tomorrow to prepare for the US Team’s arrival on July 26th.

That none would be lost,
Arlene

No comments:

Post a Comment