Wednesday, June 20, 2012

June 20.........


June 20 --- It’s another beautiful, wonderful day in the country of Rwanda. 

I was awakened by a “call to worship and singing” at 4a.m. by a religious group somewhere in this city so I decided it was a good time for me to be praying. I finally got up at 5 and finished yesterday’s journal so I could get it posted on the blog before we left for the day.

Our traditional breakfast was at 7:00 and since Pastor Al and Shelly are our resident coffee makers/drinkers they along with Kathy were in the dining hall when I arrived…….as usual!! The omelets take some time to make and Pastor Al had watched the members of the team very carefully the last few mornings and today he ordered them for everyone which turned out to be a VERY good idea. The rest of the team arrived just as the omelets were being brought to our table.

The team along with supplies and Bible sets all loaded, headed off to Mpanga Prison about 8:15. I did a crusade there last year and saw the Holy Spirit bring 6,500 to salvation but this year we will be doing 2 days of Spiritual Leader Trainings and Women’s Conferences.

We stopped and ordered more Certificates of Completion at a local printer before leaving Butari.
The drive to the prison took about 30 minutes on the main paved road and 30 minutes on a dirt road, again it is a road rutted by heavy rains. We were told that before I arrived there had been such heavy rainfall that some people lost their homes and seven people lost their lives.
Unlike last year we were not detained at the main gate but after checking our signed paperwork and confiscating every cell phone the guards allowed us to pass and enter the complex. We drove up to two large metal sliding door/gates, in massive 40ft. (at least) brick walls and one gate was opened for us to enter. This is an International Prison and has some prisoners from other countries who were also involved in the 1994 Genocide. Every prisoner here has had a trial and has received at least a 15 years sentence.

Alfred’s cousin who was the warden here last year has been relocated and we meet the temporary Interim Warden …name?… a young man who speaks softly but with authority to us but as he turns to speak to a prisoner his tone is strong and demanding. I am glad he “appears to like” me and the gift I have brought for him. He tells us that he was not informed that we were coming but he will get things ready for us as quickly as possible.

The Bible sets were taken to a storage area while we waited to be given permission to go up the hill to the women’s area. Once we were given permission Alfred and Pastor Jerome accompanied us with our equipment bag. When we arrived we were unable to enter as the women had returned from gardening with garden produce and the area needed to be made presentable before we entered, once again through large metal doors. Alfred left to tell the warden of our need for a sound system but returned shortly with it and him.
We finally entered the women’s area and the configuration is similar, but smaller, to the extra large area where we had the crusade last year, this is large and spacious but it is uncovered except for the entrance area where we set up.

I introduced myself, the team and Alfred and Jerome in the usual way. The women laughed and enjoyed their introductions and then I had Jerome share a 5 min. testimony.
The Interim Warden addressed the women and he told them he was now also my son. At my age I am being blessed with fine men who treat me with such respect and treat what is important to me as though it has eternal value. Then all the guys left to join the Spiritual Leaders Training.
There are 370 women here but all are not present, maybe 300. I started the morning by sharing my testimony and giving an invitation at which the Holy Spirit brought 81 to salvation. The choir sang a song and Kathy did her 1st teaching on “Being accepted by God”, then because we had gotten a late start it was time to break for lunch and meet with the men’s team.

At 12:30 when we walked outside the women’s holding area there were men prisoners waiting with absolutely huge 100 gal. or so, containers of cooked corn and maize. I guess they will hold it in their area until dinner time at 5 o’clock!!!!! They only eat once a day.

The guys were already in the van when we arrived down the hill and Alfred was making sandwiches for everyone.

It took some time for the women to gather again after we returned to their area. It was hot and the sun that had provided a bit of cloud cover was gone so some of the women tried to find shade under the covered walkways, some of their umbrellas or just pieces of fabric or an article of clothing on their heads.

Shelly did a marvelous job sharing her testimony and then Kathy did her 2nd teaching. I have been blessed again this year with wonderful women to help as we share the love of Christ together with these prisoners. I ended the day singing a song in their language and having them join me, I think they enjoyed it as much as I did and then with my “Why” question message. Almost every woman responded. It was ever so evident that the Holy Spirit was doing a great work in the hearts of these women. 

We made it down the hill just as the men were finishing so I was able to greet some of the women leaders who had taken the training, many remembered me from last year and called me by name.  The men reported that there were 32 women in the training and about 90 men for a total of 122. The Holy Spirit was also doing an awesome work in the hearts of these Spiritual Leaders as 80 received God’s free gift of salvation .

As we approached the gate to leave the guards asked Alfred if the Arlene in the van was the same Arlene that had written the Discipleship Booklet and he responded “Yes”, they smiled and waved as we drove off. We were able to leave the prison grounds about 3:45 for the 1 hour drive back to Butari. We stopped by the printers to pick up the extra needed certificates, purchase more bottled water and bread for tomorrow before heading back to the guest house.

There was time to shower before a traditional dinner at 6 followed by Alfred sharing a brief devotional. Then it was time to fill out and sign all the certificates and get things ready for tomorrow before heading off to our rooms.

 Everyone will have to get packed up tonight so we can take everything to Mpanga Prison with us as we will be going back to Kigali when we finish at the prison tomorrow.

I do not know if I will have further internet service when I return to the guest house there so this might be my last post for a few days. 

We plan to return to Portland PDX on June 25.

Thanks for your continued prayers,
Arlene

No comments:

Post a Comment